Popular Posts

Popular Posts

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Meeting Priscilla:



Last night I’m flying home with my wife and son after a 5-day long conference in Saint Louis.
A woman in her late 60’s sat next to us on the plane. This surprised me especially since we we’re holding a 9 month old baby who is very, we’ll call, social. Fortunately, both he and my wife took a nap before take off.
Upon sitting down she said made a quick phone call to someone, and all I heard was “I don’t even want to talk about it.” Followed by held back tears.
I tried to give her space and just read my book, but I’m a curious person and neither of us were going anywhere any time soon. Plus, something told me she could use someone to talk to.
Once we reached cruising altitude, I introduced myself and shook her hand. Her name was Priscilla. 
After exchanging pleasantries, I asked Priscilla, “How are you doing today?”
She tearfully responds, “I lost my only son 2 years ago and tomorrow is mother’s day. It’s a really hard time for me to be happy.”
Having a background in conversating with house wives while selling them kitchen knives, I know when it’s time to make someones day.
We talked the whole flight about her son, what she loved about him, and how he came to live with her his last years of life.
I even got to ask her, “If you’re son were alive today, what would he tell you on this mother’s day.” She said “He’d thank me for always being there for him. For always helping him get out of a jam, and for always loving him no matter what.”
Now I don’t normally pray with complete strangers, but something told me she could use it. We held hands and I asked God to help her remember that she got to be a mom for 49 years and that she’s still a mom forever whether her son’s here or not.
When we were done, Priscilla told me how she believed God made sure we sat next to each other on this flight. She told me that before getting on the plane she was hysterical, and was thinking really bad thoughts. Like whether it was worth sticking around any more.
Before landing she got to meet my family, and the look on her face proved that Priscilla felt a whole lot better.
Before we went separate ways, she made sure to say, "Your mom did a really good job." Well there you have it Kathleen Donnelly Israel.
Here’s to all the Priscilla’s of the world…you are loved! 
This post is dedicated to my wife Monica, who sets the family standard for expressing gratitude and making people feel awesome. And to my own mom for being the greatest example of compassion I know.
Happy Mothers day everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment