I realized today that my place on earth is not to save everyone. I am here to attract and develop a tribe of young people who want to grow themselves and live extraordinary lives and thus impact the world through their example.
A few days ago I was doing my normal daily Yoga routine and listening to some Jim Rohn audio. PURE GOLD! Everything out of this man's mouth is a quote.
Jim Rohn passed away this year, and here I am...getting my life impacted by a guy who's not even around anymore. He said something very interesting about his career in sales management. "I told myself 'I'll make these people a success if it KILLS ME.' I ALMOST DIED!"
The world is filled with people at different places in life, with different experiences. To assume we can change someone because WE want to is naive, and not the best use of our time.
To change someone because THEY want to...now that's a different story.
Learning by choice is powerful force to be reckoned with. Once you plant the seed in someone's mind that they can be, do, and have more, the quest for personal development begins.
Anyone who's been through a personal growth seminar, or who's read a great book can relate to this experience.
BUT ARE THEY THE ONE'S WHO NEED IT?
I don't know about you, but the first thing I think about when I experience a great message is "Ohhhh, if only (insert name of struggling friend or family member) could hear this. I wish they were here. This is EXACTLY WHAT THEY NEED!"
But a-lass, it never works out that way.
HOW CAN WE CHANGE THE WORLD IF THE ONE'S WHO NEED TO HEAR THE MESSAGE MOST WON'T LISTEN???
By committing to living our life as an example of the world we want to exist.
Consider that our own hypocrisy of what we say and what we do is the REAL issue. The mother who talks poorly of her ex-husband, but wants her children to be more loving and accepting of each other. The teacher who wants his students to be more engaged and involved, but hasn't picked up a book to better himself in years. The athlete who complains about the team's performance, but is late to practice regularly.
The answer is not to change the people OUT THERE. But rather to change the person, the only person you really have control of...yourself.
My commitment in life is to be an example of love and acceptance, leadership and excellence, purpose and vision, integrity and humbleness.
To say that I am this every moment of every day is a gross exhageration. But it's a practice. A life-long game where the only way to WIN is by getting others to play the game with you.
We rarely do what we hear or what we read. The rubber meets the road when we see a living example of hope. Someone engaging in the future we so desperately want.
And it's not that the people out there (who need it most) don't listen. They just need to see more examples of it ALIVE and REAL.
The point is to be that person you wish others to be, and only then do we give people permission to be who THEY really wanted to be in the first place.
Popular Posts
-
There are many moments in life and some particular ones have a way of transforming our outlook on EVERYTHING. When I was 21, my father intr...
-
The moment I first saw you on the Bus to the Cutco Factory in Olean New York: The moment in Niagara when we talked, got to know eac...
-
I realized today that my place on earth is not to save everyone. I am here to attract and develop a tribe of young people who want to grow ...
-
There are those moments who define who we grow up to be and I want to share with you an extraordinary story that defined who I am today: ...
-
Good Friday, Crabs, and Jesus I’ve had a recommitment with my faith this weekend. On Good Friday our church had a service I’ll soon n...
-
If you were a business, what would your stock be selling for? My dad worked hard every day of his life. With five kids to feed, who w...
-
People always told me, "You don't need to prove yourself to anyone but yourself." That is unless you're trying to do some...
-
At the end of a recent, very long yet productive Friday, I head to a local bar to watch my alma mater , Gonzaga University, play their firs...
-
ARE YOU AN APPLE OR AN ORANGE TREE? How do you tell an apple tree is an apple tree, and an orange tree is an orange tree? ...
Popular Posts
-
There are many moments in life and some particular ones have a way of transforming our outlook on EVERYTHING. When I was 21, my father intr...
-
The moment I first saw you on the Bus to the Cutco Factory in Olean New York: The moment in Niagara when we talked, got to know eac...
-
I realized today that my place on earth is not to save everyone. I am here to attract and develop a tribe of young people who want to grow ...
-
There are those moments who define who we grow up to be and I want to share with you an extraordinary story that defined who I am today: ...
-
Good Friday, Crabs, and Jesus I’ve had a recommitment with my faith this weekend. On Good Friday our church had a service I’ll soon n...
-
If you were a business, what would your stock be selling for? My dad worked hard every day of his life. With five kids to feed, who w...
-
People always told me, "You don't need to prove yourself to anyone but yourself." That is unless you're trying to do some...
-
At the end of a recent, very long yet productive Friday, I head to a local bar to watch my alma mater , Gonzaga University, play their firs...
-
ARE YOU AN APPLE OR AN ORANGE TREE? How do you tell an apple tree is an apple tree, and an orange tree is an orange tree? ...
No comments:
Post a Comment